Friday, 15 November 2019

Mizzima News

Home > News > Inside Burma > Burma gov’t suspects cease-fire group fueled Rakhine violence

Burma gov’t suspects cease-fire group fueled Rakhine violence


The Burmese government claims to have evidence that “certain individuals and organizations” instigated the recent violence in Rakhine State, though it failed to specify any names.

Broadcasting on Wednesday evening and quoting President Thein Sein’s office, the Associated Press reported on Wednesday that the suspects included a group or groups that previously signed a cease-fire agreement with the government.

Meanwhile, Burma’s Minister of Information Aung Kyi said that the government is seeking a “win-win situation for all stakeholders” in Rakhine State, according to Indian daily The Hindu.
Speaking on Wednesday from Naypyidaw, Aung Kyi reportedly said that there had been no violence in Burma’s restive western region since October 26, and that efforts were being made to restore peace and stability “without outside interference.”

He added that the situation in Rakhine State would soon return to normality and that humanitarian aid groups were providing supplies to those affected.

Aung Kyi’s comments came as updated reports said that 89 people in Rakhine State have now been confirmed killed with 28,000 displaced.

Washington-based NGO Human Rights Watch recently issued a statement urging the Burmese government to protect the rights of the Rohingya community in the region, and requested that neighboring Bangladesh open its borders to Muslim refugees fleeing the violence.

Reports this week said that at least one boat overcrowded with Rohingya refugees heading for Bangladesh had sunk, resulting in the death of 137 people.

The UN’s special rapporteur to Burma, Tomás Ojea Quintana, also criticized Naypyidaw for not providing the Rohingya Muslims with sufficient protection.



Last Updated ( Thursday, 01 November 2012 17:27 )  

Download Mobile App

mizzima-mobile-download-small