Thursday, 14 November 2019

Mizzima News

Home > News > Inside Burma > Mandalay mosquito-coil fire leaves 34 families homeless

Mandalay mosquito-coil fire leaves 34 families homeless


New Delhi (Mizzima) – Fire that ignited when a mosquito repellent coil tipped over has razed 22 houses this afternoon in the Aungmyaytharsan Township of Burma’s second largest city, Mandalay, fire officials say.

The fire spread from a house in Amelyoe Ward after starting at around 3:45 p.m., razing the other homes and displacing 120 people. Firemen brought it under control at about 4:15 p.m.

“The fire was started by a mosquito-repellent coil in the bedroom of the house. At that time, there were only children inside … the value of damage is still being calculated,” the Mandalay Central Fire Department’s duty chief said.

An Aungmyaytharsan resident said: “The house where the blaze started is near us … Blue-collar workers live in that ward.”

Victims of the fire, 34 families, had sought refuge at Shweantaw Pagoda community hall at the junction of 22nd Road and 86th-87th Road.

Mizzima contacted the Aungmyaytharsan Police Station but the duty officer refused to disclose any details.

A massive blaze in March 2008 gutted Mandalay’s Yadanarpon Market, leaving at least two dead and causing property damage valued at US$50 million.


 

Download Mobile App

mizzima-mobile-download-small

Who is Online

We have 57 guests online

Donation

Amount in USD:

Follow Mizzima on

Follow Mizzima on TwitterFollow Mizzima on Facebook