Sunday, 17 November 2019

Mizzima News

Home > News > Inside Burma > Suu Kyi has heart tests in hospital

Suu Kyi has heart tests in hospital

New Delhi (Mizzima) – Burmese pro-democracy leader Aung San Suu Kyi had a suspected heart check-up at Rangoon General Hospital (RGH) on Sunday evening, National League for Democracy (NLD) party leaders have said.

Party spokesman Nyan Win told Mizzima that details were sketchy. “We don’t know yet in detail. We know only that she underwent a medical check-up and examination by doctors and then she went back home. We have just learned about it”, he said. 

But, party Central Executive Committee (CEC) member Win Tin had more information after speaking to her family physician. “We heard from Dr. Tin Myo Win that her health condition was good but we heard again on Sunday night that she was taken to RGH and was checked with cardiac medical equipment for about 45 minutes. If it was for an ECG test, it could have been done at her home,” he said.

The clinical examinations included an ECG test at RGH on Sunday night from 9.15pm to 9.30pm. She then arrived back at home at 9.45pm, sources said.

Dr. Tin Myo Win had taken cardiac monitoring equipment to her home and checked her heart on April 8, in what was her second check-up for the month. Aung San Suu Kyi receives a routine check-up at her home on the first Thursday of every month and additional checks when necessary.

She told her lawyers when they visited her home to discuss her legal cases that she was being administered medicine for low blood pressure and gastric disease. She had also suffered from leg cramps last May.

Dr. Tin Myo Win was unavailable for further comment when contacted by phone on Monday.

The Nobel Peace laureate was charged last May with breach of her house arrest terms over US citizen John Yettaw’s uninvited visit to her crumbling villa after he swam across Inya Lake in Rangoon. A trial court sentenced her to three-years jail last August over the matter. But junta leader Senior General Than Shwe commuted her sentence to 18 months and ordered that it be served under house arrest.


Download Mobile App