Monday, 18 November 2019

Mizzima News

Home > News > Inside Burma > Junta denies frame up in Yettaw case

Junta denies frame up in Yettaw case


Rangoon (Mizzima) – The Burmese military junta has flatly denied that the intrusion into Aung San Suu Kyi’s residence by an American Mr. John William Yettaw, was a conspiracy hatched by the government.  

Police Chief Police Brig. Gen. Khin Yee denied the accusation made by certain quarters at a press conference held at Burma’s Narcotic Drug Museum today at 2 p.m. In fact he made a counter allegation that the opposition forces in exile were responsible for the incident.  

As Mr. Yettaw had many past contacts with these exile opposition forces and they must  have  masterminded the incident, he alleged.

This Vietnam war veteran was arrested by the police on his way back from a second visit to Suu Kyi's house in early May this year. The police filed a case against him along with host  Aung San Suu Kyi and her two live-in colleagues and party members.  

They were charged with violating her house arrest terms and can face up to five years in prison if found guilty.

Mr. Yettaw was admitted to hospital on 3 August at about midnight following  a seizure. He was treated three times today at 7 a.m., 10 a.m. and 1 p.m.  

Many are skeptical that the incident occurred when her house arrest term was nearly over. Many believe that this was a frame up  with the intention of continuing her detention in the pretext of taking action against the intrusion of an American who came from thousands of miles away and intruded into the heavily guarded residence.

After his first secret intrusion into Suu Kyi's house in November 2008, she informed the authorities through her physician.  

In his testimony given at the special court, he said that he came to warn Suu Kyi that she was in danger of being assassinated by terrorists. God sent him  to  warn  Suu Kyi, he also said.  

The junta also claimed that Mr. Yettaw visited Thai-Burma border town Mae Sot and Thai northern city Chiang Mai.  But the exiled opposition forces denied the junta’s allegation as illogical and unreasonable.  

Aung San Suu Kyi pleaded not guilty at the court and said that only the security personnel deployed at her house were responsible.

When he was asked at the press conference if the court would again postpone pronouncing the judgment which was fixed  for August 11 on the ground of Mr. Yettaw’s health, the Police Chief replied, “It’s up to the court”.  

He also said that 20 police personnel who were responsible for the two intrusions had been taken action against as per the Police Disciplinary Action Rule.  

Police Chief Khin Yee also claimed that the series of bomb blasts which occurred last year were committed by ‘Vigorous Burmese Student Warriors (VBSW).

They uncovered the plot being hatched by VBSW to trigger bomb blasts during UNSG Mr. Ban Ki-moon’s visit to Burma and when the court pronounces the judgment against Daw Suu and gives her a prison term.


 

Download Mobile App

mizzima-mobile-download-small