Monday, 18 November 2019

Mizzima News

Home > News > By-Election 2012 > Authorities cancel election in three Kachin constituencies

Authorities cancel election in three Kachin constituencies

 
Chiang Mai (Mizzima) – There is no security threat for the by-elections in Kachin State, and the Burmese government’s cancellation of elections in three constituencies is unfair, according to two local candidates.

On the left, National Democratic Force candidate Bauk JaNational Democratic Force (NDF) candidate Bauk Ja called the Union Election Commission decision, announced on state-run TV on Friday, a “dishonest” move.

Elections in the Hpakant, Bhamo and Mogaung constituencies in Kachin State were cancelled because of security concerns, said the authorities. Peace negotiations between the government and the Kachin Independence Organization have been going on for several months with only small signs of progress. Armed clashes have repeatedly broken out between the two sides.

“There is no security problem. We can go here and there in the town the whole day. There are no disturbances,” Bauk Ja told Mizzima. “In Hpakant, I was very likely to win in the by-elections,” she said.

An independent candidate, Dr. Tu Ja, who was running in the Mogaung Township constituency, said that there was no security problem in his constituency.

“Here, there is nothing to worry about in terms of security. Now the situation around the polling stations is peaceful,” he told Mizzima.
 
Sources said that the Hpakant Township Election Commission had already prepared 71 polling stations, and Mogaung Township had already prepared 65 polling stations.
 
The National League for Democracy, the NDF, the Union Solidarity and Development Party and the Shan Nationalities Democratic Party all had candidates running in one or more of the constituencies.
Last Updated ( Monday, 26 March 2012 16:11 )  
mizzima-mobile-download-large

Download Mobile App

mizzima-mobile-download-small